December 15, 2020 8:30 am - 11:15 am
Panel 1: Moving from Words to Action: Concrete Steps Towards Inclusion
8:30 – 9:45 a.m.
With an increasing focus within law firms, corporations, and the legal practice generally on enhancing diversity and inclusion, the panel will discuss concrete actions that those in leadership positions and others can take to start making headway today and move beyond words to action.
(1) Finding opportunities to advance and sponsor minority and diverse attorneys
(2) Law firms’ models for business credit and how this has traditionally and disproportionately affected minority and diverse attorneys
(3) How to get “buy in” from senior leadership for D&I efforts
(4) Implicit bias training
(5) Keeping engagement – particularly in the time of a pandemic
(6) Mansfield Rule & similar initiatives
(7) MDL & Class Actions – enforcing D&I on front lines of major litigation
• Christine Kingston, Nelson Mullins
• Melanie Todman, Nelson Mullins
• Shaneka L. Davis, Associate General Counsel, UMass Memorial Health Care, Inc.
• April English, Chief of Organization Development & Diversity, Massachusetts Attorney General’s Office
• Cherina Wright, Assistant Dean of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, Suffolk University Law School
Panel 2: An Overview of Diversity & Inclusion in the Legal Profession
10:00 – 11:15 a.m.
Attendees will gain insights into hot topics on the horizon and a look into best practices for the workplace in the new year. Join us for a deep dive into understanding different background experience in the legal profession.
• Regina Hurley, Verrill
• Eugene Ho, Verrill