JOB POSTING FOR LAW PRACTICE ADVISOR
TITLE: Law Practice Advisor
Full-Time; 40 hours per week – Boston
ORGANIZATION: Lawyers Concerned for Lawyers, Inc. (LCL) is a lawyer assistance program, which operates the Massachusetts Law Office Management Assistance Program (Mass LOMAP). LCL | Mass LOMAP’s mission is to promote well-being and resilience in the legal community, improve lives, nurture competence, and elevate the standing of the legal profession.
To fulfill this mission, LCL provides free and confidential mental health resources, addiction recovery support, and practice management services to lawyers, judges, law students and other legal professionals in Massachusetts.
THE OPPORTUNITY: LCL seeks a practice management advisor in Greater Boston (or willing to relocate) for Mass LOMAP. Some remote work may be possible. Under the supervision of LCL | Mass LOMAP’s senior practice advisors and LCL’s Executive Director, this position is responsible for providing practical advice, information, consultations, education and resources on law office and practice management, legal technology and cybersecurity, starting, growing and winding down a practice, networking and marketing, and trust accounting for lawyers, law students and other legal professionals, through a confidential advisory program; creating written resource materials for publication on the program’s website; conducting research as needed on national trends, practices and legal technology; working with LCL staff and others in the Massachusetts legal community to develop and teach continuing legal education programs focusing on practice management and practical skills; responding to calls to LCL | Mass LOMAP; working with other organizations in the local legal community as needed; serving as liaison to State Bar committees, working groups and advisory groups as needed; and other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- BA required. Extensive experience with the legal profession and knowledge of the challenges of managing a law practice.
- J.D. from an ABA accredited law school and membership in good standing of a state bar a bonus, but not required.
- Experience in law office management or risk management, including trust and operating account administration, and knowledge of relevant technology.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include:
- Responds to calls and inquiries to LOMAP and LCL and provides legal expertise, law practice and trust account management advice to lawyers, legal, paralegal and administrative staff, judges, and other members of the legal community.
- Conducts consultations by phone and web, and in person on practice management, technology, trust account inquiries including but not limited to starting, growing and winding down a law practice, choosing and using legal technology, creating policies and procedures, networking, advertising and marketing, and other topics as needed.
- Develops, plans and teaches continuing legal education programs and prepares written materials.
- Creates, curates, and updates resource materials, practice guides, checklists and other information on MassLOMAP website.
- Maintains current knowledge of and familiarity with legal technology including but not limited to practice management software, time and billing software, financial accounting software, cybersecurity and data privacy, the cloud, encryption, online legal research tools including Fastcase, and law office productivity software products
- Maintains current knowledge of and familiarity with ethics opinions and Rules of Professional Conduct
- Assists with Board of Bar Overseers’ diversions and related practice audits
- Works with LCL clinical staff and arranges for internal cross-referrals as necessary.
- Serves as liaison to section executive councils, various bar Associations divisions and other State Bar groups, committees and task forces as assigned
- Serves as back-up to LCL’s Executive Director and other staff as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Deep interest in and understanding of business technology, preferably legal technology solutions for law practice management.
- Ability to effectively communicate with and counsel lawyers contacting LOMAP by telephone and in person.
- Knowledge of all aspects of law practice and office management practices and procedures and related issues.
- Thorough knowledge of the Massachusetts of Professional Conduct and ability to stay current on ethics opinions, relevant case law, and national trends relating to practice management.
- Knowledge of, and familiarity with, legal technology, and the risks and benefits of relevant technology.
- Public speaking skills.
- Excellent communication, both oral and written, skills.
- Excellent research and writing skills.
- Exercise excellent judgment.
- Ability to listen to or review a client’s situation and from that understand the client’s problem, ask additional questions to better define problems, and be able to offer relevant advice about technology, management, financial, and marketing/business development solutions.
- Must have high level of interpersonal skills to handle sensitive and confidential situations. Position requires demonstrated poise, tact and diplomacy.
- Strong attention to detail and well organized.
- Flexibility in schedule to meet business needs.
- Must be a self-starter, able to work independently as well as work effectively with teams.
- Maintain the highest ethical standards.
- Model behaviors expected of all LCL employees by:
- Cultivating a positive work environment
- Prioritizing and setting manageable goals
- Being efficient with time at work
- Communicating effectively with management, staff, members, clients, visitors, and the public
- Being flexible and taking criticism constructively
- Develop new programs and presentations based on arising needs in the community of those LCL serves.
- Sustain positive relations with the community of lawyers in recovery (from alcoholism/addiction) and other LCL stakeholders
- Participate in quality assurance procedures and help develop them.
- Contribute to process of updating resource files
- Microsoft Windows environment with Office 365 to include formatting and production of documents, spreadsheets, reports, presentations as required.
- Particular proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
POTENTIALLY HELPFUL ADDITIONAL CREDENTIALS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Previous experience in law practice
- Previous experience with addiction and mental health
- Strong writing skills
- Proficiency with case management software preferred
- Experience with Salesforce or other web-based client relationship management system
- Familiarity with Evernote or OneNote
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS OF THE JOB: Must have the ability to: sit in one place for an extended period; communicate effectively using the telephone, TDD, scanner, and computer; and perform light lifting. The advisor must have the ability to travel to attend meetings in and out of state.
SALARY AND BENEFITS: Competitive salary and excellent benefits. LCL is a great place to work – we appreciate the importance of our staff members’ well-being.
IF THIS OPPORTUNITY SEEMS EXCITING BUT YOU DON’T HAVE 100% OF THE CREDENTIALS LISTED, please don’t let that stop you from applying. If it feels like a good fit, please send us an application.
LCL IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
LCL recruits, employs, trains, compensates and promotes regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected status as required by applicable law.
We aim to be an equitable and inclusive workplace with a diverse mix of talented professionals who are excited to join the LCL team, to stay and do their best work. We rely on the passion, creativity and emotional well-being of our staff to provide the best possible support to the legal profession.
We are focused on equality and believe deeply in diversity of race, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, national origin and all the other fascinating characteristics that make us different.
TO APPLY: Please send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, please no postal mail submissions at this time.